This week was round 2 of the bake-off - cupcakes. I made cupcakes on Monday and they were winners too!
I went with a simple chocolate cake and a strawberry cream cheese frosting. Strawberries are right about peak season right now and Florida strawberries are sooooo delicious.
I used Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake recipe, it is a really tasty fluffy moist cake, a perfect pair for this frosting.
And then the frosting...oh man, the frosting...this stuff is so delicious I was literally eating it by the spoonful after I finished frosting my cupcakes. I am not a huge fan of butter cream frostings, but cream cheese frosting? Yes please! And the strawberries make it so perfect, plus they make it pink!
Try these, seriously, I promise you will love them!
Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake
Makes about 30 cupcakes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake tins with paper liners.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Mix in the boiling water. The batter will be thin. Fill the liners 2/3 of the way, I used a 1/4 measuring cup to fill.
- Bake 22-25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely. Then frost.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup of butter (1/2 a stick) at room tempurature
- 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 5 small-medium sized fresh strawberries, pureed
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- Cream butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add in pureed strawberries.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until you get the consistency desired for spreading or piping.